Friday, October 24, 2008

Medical update from Florida

My dad sent out this email today... I'm so sad... and scared...and wish I was with them.

Well another week is coming to a close and unfortunately it wasn't a very good week for us. Naomi had a not so good report from her Oncologist today. After doing so well up until a week ago she developed quite a bit of swelling around her abdominal area and it got worse as the week went by. So after a CT scan on Tuesday the report was showing the cancer was progressing again. Dr. Peles said he would try a new chemo regimen starting on Nov 3rd with a much more potent drug. Meanwhile i am taking her to JFK Med Center this coming Monday morning to have the fluid drained from her abdominal region which should make her feel better. It is an outpatient procedure that lasts about an 1 or 2 hours between signing in and prep etc. So that's the scoop on my wife.

As for me I am going to Miami for a consult with another urological group which are supposed to be tops in this part of Florida. My personal urologist recommend them for a second opinion. They will probably do the surgery on my kidney and ureter down the road. I also am starting a new treatment on my bladder next Thursday in my urologist's office which is an outpatient procedure. I go once a week for 6 weeks and hopefully this treatment called BCG will kill the cancer cells in my bladder. The doctor said they have had good success with this treatment and if it goes well i go for 5 follow up treatments over a 24 month period. I think they will hold off on surgery until we get the bladder better or have to remove all 3 organs or what ever.

It is almost humorous that so much shit (pardon my language) is going on all at the same time but unfortunately life can get that way sometimes. I hate to burden you all with all this mess but i know you are all concerned. Not to mention the mess in the world finances and how it affects you all--what a week!!!! The only important thing to me right now is curing my wife's cancer and hopefully she will continue to have a positive attitude in spite of this added bump in the road.
Love to all--Jerry

No comments: