Saturday, January 24, 2009

Cervical Nerve Block x2

Well yesterday I had my second cervical nerve block...and it went much better than the 1st one. I must admit the first one was more of a "scary" time as I had no idea what to expect and what I was "told" didn't happen.

The first time I was told I would be given a sedative...to calm my nerves and allow me to lay still so the doc's didn't "miss" the nerve in my neck. Ha... the nurse took me in and told me to change in my lovely hospital gown then take a chair in the "hallway" to wait. I assumed I would have a chance to let Gary know what was happening...not a chance. They put me in the ct machine and went to work. Damn I was nervous...scared...terrified...to say the least. But, they didn't "do sedation" at the local medical center and I would have to reschedule and go to the main hospital in Detroit. So I decided to deal with it...Iwas out the door with a sore neck and weary nerves one hour later. It took about 2 weeks to feel any relief and the relief lasted about 3 months.

Since you can't get a nerve block more often then 6 month intervals... I was ready! I had the last one in July.

This time I went to the main hospital and passed on the sedation as I knew what to expect. It took longer overall but it was such a nice experience (given the situation) it was worth it. The nursing staff was wonderful and of course, I wasn't scared this time as I knew exactly what was going to happen. The worst part is the local anesthesia...after that it is just a bit of pressure and making sure not to move.

I had to "rest" for 12 hours following the procedure which was tough. Gary took the afternoon off work to take care of me. That included ice cream in bed (hurrah) and...he even made me coffee (without me asking). He hates coffee...except for the smell...so that was pretty darn big of him. Later in the evening we played Scrabble and he pulled out a 70 point word (grrrr) and beat me in the end.

I feel pretty good today. No heavy lifting or driving or shoveling snow or cutting the grass (I wish it was warm enough for grass) or lifting laundry... I can milk this one for the remainder of the day!

No comments: