Monday, May 18, 2009

Apples to Apples

Gary LOVES to play games! Usually it is Texas Hold 'em but will play just about any game around. It is not unusual for him to round up the kids for "family night" as often as possible (not very with teenagers) to play a game. We have LOTS of games.
So, when the boys came home early on Saturday night and started shouting 'FAMILY NIGHT' we were intrigued! Evan was introduced to "Apples to Apples" at school on Friday and decided he had to have the game.

The game consists only of two decks of cards: Things and Descriptions. Taking turns (clockwise worked for us) the current "it person" selects a Description card and lays it on the table. They read the word...and the three descriptions below. The other players try to pick, from the cards in their hands, the Things that best match that Description.
The "it person" then chooses the Thing that appeals most and awards the card to the player who played it. Now mind you that the usual combinations of "Things & Descriptions" don't have to necessarily make sense. They can be whacky...serious...whatever you want to make of it.
Example: The Description Card was "Dangerous" and some of the Thing cards submitted were: Piranha, Shania Twain (sorry if you like her), and ham sandwich. Get the drift!! Of course I won't tell you which was selected as the best description.
We loved it and played 4 rounds that night. Of course we are definitely playing that game on Saturday night with friends Kevin & Victoria. Victoria has a style of her own when playing games. I'm pretty sure some alcohol will make the game more interesting.
Give it a try ...it was a blast!

6 comments:

The Texas Woman said...

We love Rummikub. Have a game of it at home, in RV, at nursing home, at friend's house. Love it. You can even play it online but I haven't yet. They time ya and I'm not up to THAT!

The Texas Woman

Caren said...

Try this game... I'll bet the folks at the nursing home will get a kick out of it.

I love Rummikub too!

Honestly - we should hang out - ;-)

Anonymous said...

I thought this game was fun, but my super competitive brother and boyfriend didn't like it because there wasn't really a clear winner in it. :)

Caren said...

Don't you just love messing with the men. :-)

Dorkys Ramos said...

My ex LOVED this game and I'd never heard of it before. We'd play it with his family and had a blast. Good choice!

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

This game is so much fun!!!