Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I walked!

I don't talk about my physical limitations too much. I have them...they cause me pain. Pain that on a good day isn't bad and easy to deal with. Pain on a bad day that has me ...trying to find a comfortable place to lie down and stop the nerve pain that travels my arms and legs. That is such nasty pain.

I used to exercise...all the time. I was a runner and went to the gym about 4 - 5 days a week. I would work out at home if I couldn't get to the gym. You know the type...crazy but loving it. Over the years my knees gave out and I started getting stress fractures in my feet...so no more running. Then when I tore my rotator cuff and they wouldn't fix it because they discovered this lovely neck problem and Arnold Chiari (check that one out) syndrome...they told me not to exercise. Then they kept putting me on all types of medications so I gained weight. I could starve...then look at a peanut...and I would gain weight. Ugh.

So I took matters into my own hands. I finished the pain clinic program...and still receive the nerve blocks in my neck (no it isn't fun) and back. I stopped taking all the medications and have lost most of the weight. But, I didn't start exercising. I was afraid.

Yesterday, the sun was shining when I got out of work. The sky was that breathtaking vibrant blue we rarely see in Michigan. The temperatures were in the 60's...delightful for this time of year! So, I decided I was going to start my walking program right then and there.

Charged up my mp3 player and out the door I went. It felt glorious to be outside. The promise of Spring was in the air. Birds and ducks were everywhere. I sang along and felt wonderful for the first mile. Then I decided not to push it and turn around for home. I did it! I walked my two miles in less than 20 minutes!!!!

It was just great.

1 comment:

The Texas Woman said...

Congrats, girl. I'm happy and jealous at the same time. Can't wait until I feel well enough to work up a sweat. You've sure been quiet about all your ailments. Me? I blab everything. Hope your good days are more than the bad ones!