Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Saga continues

I might be able to write a novella about the trials and tribultions of my foot surgery. If it wasn't causing me so much grief...it might be comical...probably not.

Last week it was the perils of a potentia blood clot. No need to go back into old posts...no blood clot!!! This week was the mystery of the very RED foot. I've been good at not adding many photos of my feet during this process. First off, no one (that I personally know) really wants to look at another persons feet. Why would anyone want to look at a post operative foot unless you are a podiatrist??? But I must share this one photo...just scroll down quickly if it grosses you out.

Here is my incredibly RED foot.

Sorry!

One must take note that the incredibly RED foot happened on its own accord. This was Sunday evening and I had been sitting in the living room, watching TV for 3 hours (seriously), with my foot elevated. All of a sudden I got one of those totally annoying nerve pains, looked down at my foot and freaked out. My foot was beet red!!! Oh yeah...swollen too. So I send a picture mail to my daughter because that is how we operate. Our texts went something like this... "Stinky - would you take a look at my foot!". She responds, "Wow...that is RED". Then I get another response, "Mom... I showed the picture to dad (my ex - #1) and he said you should go to the ER - NOW!".

Of course I took that to heart and decided to wait until the morning, call my primary doc and get a second opinion on the foot. Not that I don't absolutely adore foot dr. Jerry...but it is now 2 months post surgery and I'm losing my mind here!

The doc tells me to come in that morning (god bless a 10 inch snow storm the night before) so he can look at the foot. I decided, in order for him to get the full picture, to bring in my pictures of the foot. Yes, the foot has its own scrapbook now! He exams the foot, asks me a ton of questions, rubs his chin, shakes his head in that thoughtful way and tells me..... Gee, I don't know what is going on with your foot. Thank you Einstein!

But, he did send me for an MRI because "something" is going on in there and we need to see it! Once again, the normal two week wait for an MRI was cut down to 2 hours - thank you again Mother Nature. Gary was taking me for an MRI. We are really spending so much quality time going to the doctors these days. Might have to create catagories..."most romantic doctor visit date". Any how...

Apparently a request for a foot MRI does not encompass your entire foot. The heel is a separate request. So, we had to wait for the Insurance authorization twice! I had two MRI's in one day. Good times. I also pissed off the MRI tech because I kept falling asleep! When I would come to consciousness I would twitch and mess up the MRI. He he...sorry. She had to retake two portions. Needless to say, it would turn into a 3 1/2 visit.

No, I have no idea what the result is...I'm just hoping it is good news. I have a history of stress fractures in my left foot. Broke the darn thing 4 times doing nothing much. Can you imagine if they broke the stupid foot while operating? Maybe they just left a scapel in there or something simple like that!

Good news - I can still fly on Thursday!!! Dad - I'll be there soon! Keep those 80 degree days waiting for me!

No comments: